← Back to Blog

The amazing guide to filing wonolo 1099 taxes

minute read
Updated on:
December 11, 2022
December 11, 2022
Table of contents
Discover Bonsai all-in-one business management software.

If you are an on-demand worker or Wonolo 1099 freelancer, then this is the post for you.

Doing your own taxes is a stressful process that most people would prefer to avoid. However, this year you can feel a little less stressed knowing that this guide will help you. The great thing about being a freelancer with Wonolo is the tax benefits- you have all of the freedom with a ton of 1099 benefits!

In this quick n' easy guide, we'll take care of everything you need to know from start to finish. No more worrying about paying quarterly taxes, tax deductions or tax penalties- just read here.

Note: If you want to breeze through your Wonolo taxes and maximize your tax savings, try Bonsai Tax. Our app can remind you of filing deadlines, estimate taxes, and scan your bank/credit card statements for tax deductions. Claim your free trial for 7-days here.

Taxes You'll Owe As A Wonolo Independent Contractor

Wonoloers are considered their own self-employed business. This means you are responsible for paying all of your taxes. It is your duty to understand what taxes you'll need to pay. Let's dive into the different kinds you'll owe Uncle Sam at the end of the year.

Social Security & Medicare Taxes

Independent contractors for Wonolo need to pay self-employment tax or Social Security and Medicare taxes on the income they earn from freelancing. Self-employment tax is composed of 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for Medicare. It is important to calculate your self-employment tax rate so you know how much money to set aside at the end of the year. Late in this article, we'll go over an easy way to claim deductions and lower that tax bill.

Income Taxes

Even if you are not a freelancer, you need to file income taxes. In fact, anyone earning money needs to report their income to the IRS. Income taxes vary based on your tax bracket. Check the updated IRS tax bracket here.

Who Will Receive A 1099?

If you contracted as a Wonoloer, you'll most likely receive a 1099-NEC in the mail. The requirement to receive a 1099-NEC is if you were paid more than $600 by a business. You won't receive a 1099 under $600 but you may still have to pay taxes.

Quarterly Estimated Taxes

As a Wonoloer, you'll need to file estimated tax payments four times a year. Estimated taxes were designed to help self-employed folks ease the burden of paying one large sum at the end of the year. Instead, they will make an estimated payment to the IRS four times a year.

Here are the due dates for estimated taxes:

  • April 15
  • June 15
  • September 15
  • January 15 of the following year

You can easily file payments online via IRS direct pay. Be sure to send the correct number amount. If you pay less than you owe, you'll be fined with a tax underpayment penalty rate.

Deductions Available to Wonolo Freelancers

There is a lot of available tax deductions for self-employed Wonolo freelancers. Here is a list of common write-offs:

Remember, you cannot deduct personal costs for write-offs. Only the business-specific portion of these expenses. You'll file these deductions on your Schedule C or profits and losses statement.

Note: If you would like software to scan your bank/credit card statements, organize and track your tax deductions, try Bonsai Tax. Users save on average $5,600 from their tax bill by using our software. Try a 14-day free trial here.

Time to File Your 2021 Wonolo Taxes

Whether you’re a freelancer or an entrepreneur, taxes are always something to be concerned about. As if the looming deadline isn’t enough of a stressor for you, there are also various tax forms that need to be filed! And it can all seem so complicated. That is why we created Bonsai Tax - our goal is to simplify your life by providing simple and efficient 1099 services without breaking your bank account in the process. Claim your 7-day free trial today.

Tax Accounting/ Legal/ Financial Note

It is appropriate you always seek professional advice from an accountant or tax expert. This guide is not meant to be viewed as tax accounting, legal or financial advice. Please speak with a tax, financial or other professional if you have any questions or concerns.

Related Articles