Learning the do's and don'ts of creating a freelance contract template
is crucial to getting paid for your freelance work you do and maintaining a good relationship with the client. As a freelancer
you are your own business and nobody else will handle the paperwork for you. It can be daunting to try to manage your own business like this, but also extremely rewarding.
Why do I need a freelance contract?
No matter if you're just starting out or have been freelancing for years, having a contract is always in your interest and your clients. The contract doesn't need to be unnecessarily long, complicated, or full of legalese. Ultimately, it just needs to outline your relationship with the client: who does what and what, and what happens if that's done (or not). Take note of these dos and don'ts
when evaluating a freelance contract template
Tips for a great freelance contract template
- Clearly outline what freelance work you will do (and won't do) for the client. The more details you put in, the fewer opportunities for misunderstandings and common issues like scope creep.
- Be very clear about time frames: when will you deliver the freelance work, how long does the client have to review it, and when will you get paid.
- Be very clear about things like intellectual property ownership: what happens to the IP before and after the client pays? Do they own the final product or everything that you used to produce that product? This may seem like splitting hairs, but it's important to be clear about these things.
Things to avoid in your freelance contract
- Don't budge on too many critical points (eg scope, payment, IP) just to win a contract. These clients often end up causing more pain and costing more time than they're worth. Use each point as an opportunity to negotiate.
- Don't settle for vague deadlines. Be specific in all parts of the client. It will save you headaches later!
Now that you have an idea about how your freelance contract template
should look, let Bonsai
help you find the right contract template for your freelance work. We provide contracts for everything from website development
, iPhone app development
, freelance design
, mobile design
, and more!