Maybe you're ready to make the jump into freelancing, or maybe you're a pro who has been at it for years. Welcome yourself to an approximately 53 million American freelancers
on the market today.
Whether you're a newbie or a pro, one secret of successful freelancers is to always use a contract. It doesn't matter if it's a first time client you met on the internet, one who was referred to you by a friend, or one you've been working with for years. Freelancing contracts are critical to protecting your interests.
Step up your game by working out your own freelance contract
. Not only does a contract look professional, it can also protect you from the legal implications of miscommunication with your client. It is this reason why a lot of freelancers and clients are more than willing to work with contracts that clearly define the terms and conditions of the project.
Here are the top five things you should include in your freelance contract
- Title of your contract – Describe what is your work all about; i.e. Freelance Mobile App Development Contract, Independent SAP Consulting, or Freelance Programming Contract.
- Identify who your client is – Address your contract to the right person or company and indicate their full name. For example, I, Wesley Bean (Name of Contractor) and Doug Williams (Name of Client) agree to work under the following terms, etc.
- Describe what you're going to do– Simply write down a description of each of your services relevant to the project scope. It's also important to let the client know of your plans for the project. This is especially true in projects that are technical in nature such as web programming, data engineering, web analytics consulting, and the like.
- Specify your compensation and deadline – How much should you expect to get paid and what should the client pay you? For example, ask the client to pay you by the hour or a flat fee. You can then set up a series of milestones so that the client can pay you down as you complete them.
- Finalize the contract– This is where you should state your confidentiality and legal clauses, in an effort to protect yourself from liabilities that may come with breach of contract.
Creating a freelance contract doesn't need to be complicated. Use Bonsai
to quickly create bulletproof contracts that you and your client can e-sign easily. Bonsai offers all types of contracts, from freelance design
, Freelance Invoice
, iPhone app development
, website development
, mobile design
, and more!