Whether you're just starting out or you have been running a bakery business for a while, it is important that you send an invoice to bill clients for the goods that you have baked. Rather than creating different styles of invoices each time, it would be more time-efficient to create a cake invoice template so you just have to simply enter all the details for each client into the invoice template.
You have several options for bakery invoice templates including using programs like google sheets, google docs, or MS word to create one yourself, or searching online for free cake invoice templates. However, if you wish to send professional invoices out to your clients you may be better off using a more professional service rather than using a free cake invoice template.
There are platforms that provide the tools to achieve this such as Bonsai, which is used by over 500,000 self-employed workers to create a Taylor-made invoice for their businesses. Bonsai also has pro features to allow you to lock in partial payments, and global payments to choose from such as credit card, ACH, and PayPal. They also have an easy automation function from the creation, sending, and reminding to automatic late fees.
Note: Using a professional invoice template service like Bonsai will help you gain a competitive advantage over your competition and stand out from the rest. Try a free trial today.
What is a cake invoice template?
In every business transaction, there is a point at which the company has provided its goods or services and needs to get paid for that service. An invoice is a document that highlights exactly what services have been provided, the order details, the cost of production, and the payment terms.
Using an invoice template makes this process a lot easier, as you will already have the format laid out and just have to fill in the details required. This may be in the form of a pdf format that you simply download, print off, and write on.
As a consultant or freelancer that bakes and delivers cakes to clients, you can make invoicing easier if you use a cake invoice template. Such templates are usually in formats that you can edit easily.
Using invoices to bill clients gives credibility to your business and helps you maintain a cordial relationship with them. But, make sure you use a good template that contains all the relevant and useful information.
1. Uses of a cake invoice template
Many freelancers and consultants still deal with clients the crude way, even though it is not advisable. While you might get away with such a crude approach, there are benefits of using a cake invoice that may interest you.
Here are some of them below:
- It helps you to maintain and keep track of past balances
- It speeds up the payment process for your services
- In the case of repeat orders, it helps you to organize a client’s account
- It can be printed in easily from PDF or other printer-friendly formats
- It eases tax clearance processes and financial reporting
2. Creating a cake invoice template
You can create a cake invoice from scratch, especially if you can use MS Word or some other applications well. It is not difficult at all, and you can always use a cake invoice template as a guide. We strongly encourage that you use a template so that you will not leave out important details that should be included in the invoice.
So, before we look at how to create a cake invoice, let’s see some details that such an invoice should contain.
How to write a cake invoice
When you have given your goods to your clients or offered any services, you will need to record this information on the invoice template you have already created. Here is a step by step guide on how to fill in that information:
List the complete goods or services provided
You must write down what goods or services you have provided to each customer whether it is just a few cakes for your smaller clients or a full catering service provided for your larger clients.
Add the total balance owed
Add up each individual goods or services provided to come up with a total balance that the client owes you. This may include labor costs and tax rates. You might want to add in the accepted methods for payment.
Make several copies of the payment terms
As a bakery owner, you will likely have a high turnover of customers every day, it is important to keep on top of the paperwork by ensuring you have a good filling system in place. It is advisable to make multiple copies of each document to ensure you have an up-to-date file.
Submit the invoice to the customer
Once you have gone through these steps it is time to give the customer their invoice. You can choose to give it to them how you wish but it is recommended to ask them for their preferred form of delivery such as email or a paper copy.
- Add As Many Payment Details as Possible - This will cater to all of your customers depending on their preferred payment method as some will prefer paying by card and some with cash.
- Add Miscellaneous Costs - As you may be very busy working and checking on your products it is worth taking the time to check you haven't accidentally left out any costs to the customers such as taxes or transaction fees.
- Double-Check the Invoice - Similarly to the last point, it is important that you make sure all of the information you have put in the invoice is correct as an invoice full of incorrect information will make you look unprofessional.
3. Details contained in a cake invoice template
After you have completed baking your goods and giving them to your customer, you should supply them with an invoice for those goods they are purchasing. As you may be baking goods for many different occasions such as weddings and birthdays for numerous clients you will have to create an individual invoice for each customer.
What should you add to a cake invoice?
When creating an invoice template you should include all the relevant information on it. Here are examples in more detail of the type of information that needs to be included:
- A unique invoice number - an invoice number will be needed for your record-keeping.
- Your company's details - (business name, bakery owners, email, and mailing address, phone number, company logo).
- The client's information - contact details such as an address, email, and phone number.
- Service list provided - A list of the goods provided (baked goods, wedding cake, etc)
- Total cost for completing the work carried out - Cost of goods provided or hourly labor rates for larger clients.
- Gross subtotal - (before adding service fees, discounts, and taxes)
- The total net amount owed - (with taxes)
- The due date for the requested payment
As the owner of a bakery business, you may be offering different goods and services to different clients. For example, the smaller clients you may just bake a few cakes, but for larger ones, you may provide a full catering service for a function. With this in mind, it may be recording these different types of services provided in a google docs sheet before you write the information into the invoice template, so you don't forget any information.
To foster a good relationship between a freelancer and a client, it is good practice to include certain details in a cake invoice. More so, it will help you to avoid any form of disagreement that will hinder future business relations.
4. Step-by-step guide to create a cake invoice
We have compiled the following steps that will guide you to create your cake invoice from any template online.
- Find and download a cake invoice template.
- Customize it by adding your logo, your preferred font, and color, etc.
- Include your name (or business name), address, and contact information.
- Include your client’s name and address.
- List and describe the services you provided alongside the price for every one of them.
- Include the “Total Amount” field to your invoice and calculate the total amount for all services provided.
- Include your accepted means of payment.
- Finally, save your personalized cake invoice.
Once you prepare your customized template following the steps above, you will not have to repeat exactly every step for each client. You will only have to change the information in some of the fields.
5. Types of cake invoice template
There are different templates for cake orders that are available to a consultant caterer. Sometimes, a cake invoice template is named to capture the reason for the cake order.
Here are a few types of cake invoice templates below:
- Shower cake
- Birthday Cake
- Wedding cake
- Layer cake
- Sheet cake